Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Digest Number 388

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_BxUd5t53jy7T9-8zwpFcgI1w6J_5JspPWnqg9iY9iXWBnF0r7qyuD8OyNLHxnMRK>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:56:56 +0100

David Boatright wrote:

> I am always amazed at the amount of righteous indigation when humour
> is not aimed at White, straight, males. I am sure a keyword listing
> cliches for this group would never raise any eyebrows.

I can only speak from a personal point of view, but I've never witnessed a direct progression from "heterophobic" abuse/jokes to straight-bashing. I have, on the other hand, seen just such a progression from homophobic abuse/jokes to queer-bashing. On more than one occasion.

When straight people are ostracised, legally and socially discriminated against or even killed just for being straight:

http://www.queer-america.com/shepardmatthew.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/332743.stm

Well, then I'll start being particularly worried about heterophobic insults.

So-called "humour" of the sort you peddled is part of the process of marginalisation and belittlement which helps to legitimise these sort of attacks. A similar process has operated with respect to racial, cultural, religious, etc. minorities in a multitude of times and places.

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's why it gets my hackles up.

Once More With Contempt,

Bruce