RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Digest Number 388

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_PCvTwRSb-gFF0aXcsnViaGPBzsbUwHTufiDfR7Qmc5BV9tVVcwBblo_jv9glC>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:28:46 +0100

> You really can't comprehend that verbal homophobic abuse
> helps to legitimate physical homophobic violence?

Personally I can't comprehend it, no, but I can accept that some "people" follow that train of "logic" to the point of harming others. This seems to me to be a bad thing, and to be discouraged.

On a brighter note, there are huge numbers of people I correspond with by email where I have no idea of their sexual preferences, colour, disabilities, or even gender, unless they choose to tell me. Not that I'm particularly bothered by any of these things anyway, but it's nice to know that those who routinely suffer from prejudice can choose to avoid it.

And you might like to know that in a round of interviews at work recently, a last question put to H.R. before the interviewees arrived (yes, after we'd chosen who to interview) was "what gender's this one?". H.R. didn't know.