RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Hamsters

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_JWcEtj2WnmusZfNNe__MI34aVsY6fPQGnoqxOAFGISvXFSWTqDy_264LAQdQe>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:59:50 +0100

> If you think those are bad how would you pronounce
> Friockheim, Milngavie or Herstmonceaux?*

> *("Freek-um", "Mull-guy" and "Her-man-us" respectively I am
> led to believe - although I can't swear about the last one)

I'd start by asking a native. Failing that, I'd assume that the first was German in origin and the last French, and attempt it on that basis.

But then most "real" names, the ones that have been around long enough to have the corners knocked off (about 500 years will do as a start), get shortened by those who have to use them. And quite *how* they get shortened is anybody's guess.

For a horrible example, I come from a dump called Lu'on (spelt Luton these days). Used to be Lugh's Town, once. I can only assume he disowned it, and I don't blame him.

Then there's Ludd's Dun (now shortened and vowels altered to London).

Belvoir Castle, obviously a Norman place with a beautiful view. Pronounced "beaver", I'm told.