Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Digest Number 390

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_cyi-p1ceG16D-L-hjA9pOUs9MK9g72zwNli7FvsOe6HYusFu76N0elDEm7TPG_lraey_4>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:37:29 -0700

> And yes, this is useful - if I go to a place whose name ends
> in "cester", I know roughly what the layout will be, unless some
> careless idiot's gone and rebuilt it.

Hell, the last I was over in Britain, you *still* hadn't put back the street signs you'd taken down to prevent Jerry from finding London back in '41.

And it probably *has* been rebuilt, between Cromwell ("what a man for gravity"), the Zeppelins in the Great War (my dad remembered hiding under the dining room table from them), and the Battle of Britain, everything (except the bell tower of the Cathedral of Ely, which the bombers seem to have used as a signpost on their way to London "Fly to zee tower und turn left, you can't miss it") sems to have been burned, bombed, demolished, or fallen into the swamp at least once in the last 500 years.

RR
C'est par mon ordre et pour le bien de l'Etat que le porteur du présent a fait ce qu'il a fait.
- Richelieu