[ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Hamsters

From: David Cake <dave_at_1lTd601-xU6WJoS5S80vrhFsZ5Am4_EGySRH3E6K_8h5rGyIurQKCAhNusigcBOzxRhevdu>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 03:17:41 +0800

At 5:23 AM +0000 8/4/05, Jeff Richard wrote:
> > I'm told the Australian schoolyard insult 'dropkick'
>> similarly has its origins in rhyming slang, dropkick and punt.
>
>We didn't have a whole lot of rhyming slang on my schoolyard. I think
>f*cker, mother-f*cker, and goddamn mother-f*cker pretty much covered
>it. At that point, rhyming slang would just seem real dweeby - like
>calling someone a dweeb, when it was obvious you meant to say dick.

        The interesting thing is, dropkick, like berk, was one of those things that you called someone when swearing at them was inappropriate (in class, for example), much the same as berk, and I think pretty much everyone used it as a mild and fairly innocent insult - completely unaware of the rhyming slang origins. I didn't find out the origin of the term until years later.

	Cheers
		Dave