Re: Hamsters

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_t-J6UVK6EkEMj-iryRyAQvO4L5t-j1K1mSXpKwhT7lFEPinrAhSdTM6Br3OV3wcDVBshvNds>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:24:55 -0000

> The interesting thing is, dropkick, like berk, was one of
> those things that you called someone when swearing at them was
> inappropriate (in class, for example), much the same as berk, and I
> think pretty much everyone used it as a mild and fairly innocent
> insult - completely unaware of the rhyming slang origins. I didn't
> find out the origin of the term until years later.

Again, I think this xplains why the concept is foreign to our American friends. They, poor souls, don't seem to understand the concept of swearing being inappropriate, which may, at first glance, seem to be very enlightened of them , but unfortunately it means that when *real* invective is called for, you've nowhere left to go...