RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Cockney

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_m_EZZhVzmEDfSjxzwQvOzNlLxtNCux-GfVZJP0eAJOiWjdn7nAAHwU9KU92SteXxxkT>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:24:26 -0700

Jane Williams [mailto:janewilliams20_at_c1cTmh9U_MwH2ptVVVNgrhbf7UFxvw8PcZnf3y9cyIXG9GhgK5bRvXbomLQz3MUEaITZHcdTgl9mkRlvafFBvf7rM3c.yahoo.invalid]

> > >maintaining
> > >
> > >Isn't that the same thing?
> >
> > Not strictly. 'Saving the universe' is maintaining rural, middle
> > class, American, Republican, White, Protestant male sensibility.
>
> Well, Tolkein wouldn't have had much interest in saving
> Americans. Or indeed anything much beyond the Thames valley....

And if it comes to that, while Tolkien wouldn't *object to* saving Protestants, they weren't his top priority. Or rather, he thought a good way to save Protestants was to make them into Catholics.

And if it needs saying, Tolkien wasn't a Republican, he was a Monarchist.

Bless me, what do they teach them at these schools?

--AMS