Re: Borderlands & Beyond book

From: Rick Meints <rjmeints_at_MCa_hmXvJkB9pA6aqHWpN6k_bWbph08HujHHSS7TM9TnDx8OVcDf5dzDGeaQc_eYSqG>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:56:34 -0000

Tim,

I am not reprinting "crap", except perhaps by quoting some of your shop-owner friend's statement. :-)

Firstly, I would definitely teach said owner a lesson by buying TWO copies of the book directly from me.

Secondly, Chalanna Arroy cult members are allowed to have combat skills, but with the proviso that they only use them to protect their lives as a last resort. The priest had a DEX of at least 18, so they are not violating the 5x DEX limit on skills either. So nyah to that...

If you take a look at the Table of Contents PDF in the files section of this group you will see that only a fraction of the overall page count is devoted to Runemasters. For what it is worth, I have had numerous people request that Runemasters be reprinted in one of the books. I back this up with the evidence of its resale price on the secondary used game market. That "crap" supplement usually goes for around $20 all by itself. Making it about 20% of a $40 book means that you can have a better version, with more art, info, and a better layout for $10.

Look at it like this, and feel free to explain it this way to detractors of the book as well. For $40 you are getting all of Borderlands, Plunder and Runemasters with better art, some unpublished info, and other hard to find magazine articles as well. If you compare this to the average ebay prices for just the three core supplements (without the extras) you wind up with an ebay cost of over $120. For about 1/3 of that price you get all that with Volume IV. Simple, economical, and logical, plus you don't have to spend all that time bidding with no gaurantee of success at the price you are willing to pay. If you can buy all three originals for less than $40, buy an extra trio for me.

Nuff said,
Rick