RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Gimme the Dirt

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_tLX8vdn_r8XNHMXp1MfLeZYRdnlx68HfjX5vY_yUNZmIUVk10YN6GdQ-c_W_Y>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:02:35 +0100

> For what it's worth, I got along well with Stephen in the
> running of www.glorantha.com and I think he did a good job
> as editor. He can come off as rather brusque, but I think
> that's mostly his way of expression, especially by email.

Yes, I'd agree with that. I used to correspond with him a lot, though it dropped off in recent years, and could always manage a constructive dialogue. But his way of expressing himself was not one of his strong points, and also, badly expressed or not, he could be incredibly arrogant. Not "I don't think that's right", or "I don't think that's right, here's the page reference,", just "I deny it". To which the obvious immediate response that you have to delete before pressing Send is "oh yeah and who the *** do you think you are to deny anything?" Even Greg doesn't go that far, and he's got more right to than anyone else.

The other problem with his whole relationship-to-fan-community thing is that he genuinely believed it was irrelevant. The whole concept of GAG - Generally Accepted Glorantha - he didn't think mattered, and said so, frequently. If everyone playing in the world believed X, even though it had never come out in an "official" product, then he didn't see any problem at all in contradicting it, because fan views are irrelevant. He stopped following the lists, and wished Greg would also stop wasting his time listening to the fan base. He hadn't gamed himself for years, and had no idea what made a fun game and what didn't. This is not how to win popularity contests.

> > I don't have any gossip on the recent situation, but at
> next con will
> > happily donate the alc to use to get those people drunk and
> willing to
> > talk who we think can tell us.
>
> Please don't, I think those directly involved would prefer
> to put this very sad affair behind. Salt and wounds are a bad mix.

Seconded. The little I've heard has been very, very, nasty. And I've only heard one side. But when people who've been friends for decades start taking legal action against each other, that's got to hurt.