Re: From the "Defend Glorantha" thread on RPG.NET

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_d8bWn_aClkX6WjxuuMtvGxJRToXEENs3OHq_HyjNKNRqQpO0q2oQlslH0hpFK>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 05:24:10 -0000

[Another Huzzah! for John!]

Tim:
> I just liked this ditty...

The Sound of Music is a much unused analogue for Dragon Pass.

Mind you, musicals and music-hall in general aren't the greatest influences for many roleplayers, sadly. Though I've always considered Ralzakark IMG to be a cross between a bestial Ronald Colman and an ungulatory Noel Coward (never read Dorastor, which is perhaps why...).

I was in a military history seminar once, and a Canuck friend was talking about submarine warfare in WWI, including the Med. Jokingly at the end, I asked why he'd not talked about that famed Austro-  U-boat ace (not exactly a military stereotype, I'll admit), Georg Ritter von Trapp.

Blank faces. You know, the Von Trapp Family Singers? Blank faces. Come on, have any of you seen The Sound of Music? I think one then flickered in vague recollection.

So most military historians and roleplayers alike, it seems.

Cheerio,

Stu.