Rome

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_u4ORwjxuxJfm8Xkkn8Uk-1VHn66R_LsUSumP0xrpeQuk-1xvAJ-z5tmwkL_gL>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:53:50 -0000

Next instalment of D&D is taking a little while to finish (it may be amusing at times, but writing up a one-dimensional dungeonhack is so very depressing and unedifying).

So... how are people (on both sides of the Atlantic, and wherever else it is shown) enjoying the HBO/BBC 'Rome'?

On that note, it's become standard in my extended network of gaming friends to have one or more big PBEM games ongoing all the time. Over the past seven+ years we've had two Illuminati ones set in the 1960s, a Space:1889 one, and currently one set in Renaissance Europe.

The latter's still going very strong, but prep has slowly started on its eventual successor (or running mate), which I'm creating and will be set in the Late Republic (most probably starting 70 BC, and with a view to running twenty-five or so in-game years). Players will portray senatorial factions. In some ways it will be an expanded version of Avalon Hill's boardgame 'Republic of Rome'; but in others a more freeform online entertainment.

It won't start for a *good* while, yet; but if anyone's interested in the idea, do say -- as I can invite you to the Smartgroups we have while I slowly trickle out information.

Cheerio,

Stu.