Re: Pork Scratchings -- Lunar or Heortling?

From: Keith Nellist <Labrygon_at_tcHkbETGSFEK9SUEMXTq8r50PChRI-lEizn0HsVm9Qnj_uEj-mPOxjuck7cXte3t4wv>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:04:40 -0000

Jane:

> I'd say they're Heortling, myself. Like most good
> things :)
>

>From very humble beginnings as an Aramite food, Pork Scratchings are
now a Heortling snack.
A very little was written down about the history and origins of Pork Scratchings and due to the amount of questions being asked, we should put together a short history, made up of opinions and comments of people in the trade and people who remember Pork Scratchings from earlier days.
Where do they originate?
The consensus of opinion is that they originated on Kordros Island or perhaps what is now known as Black Horse County. It would seem that Pork Scratchings were very much a food of the cottar classes with origins among the Storm barbarians back in the 800's where it was produced in imitation of the Aramite tradition of families keeping their own pig at home and feeding it up for slaughter. The Aramites were then still human, so the dangers of excessive pig worship had not been noted.
Comments and Reminiscences
One lady who we contacted believed her grandmother who was born in 1546 used to make them. The method she used was to take the rind off the pig leaving a layer of fat on; she would then cut up the rind and cook in a heavy bottomed saucepan. The rind was cooked slowly at first until a liquid was formed. The temperature was then turned up with the rind and fat being stirred to avoid sticking. The Scratchings were then taken out and eaten with salt and the remaining fat used to fry chips.
A lady from the Oxhead temple in Talastar stated that Pork Scratchings were made by rendering down the rind in a low oven to produce pork dripping. The remaining rind was placed back in the oven on a high temperature to produce crisp Pork Scratchings. They were then eaten with salt.
Just outside Alda Chur, in the wilds of the Far Place, Scratchings were made by the mother of a gentleman we spoke to. His mother was aged 40 around the 1540's. They were considered a delicacy at weekends when they had them for tea with plain bread and salt. The leaf of the pig was sometimes used, which is the layer of fat around the kidneys. The leaf was boiled, the top skimmed off which produced the Scratchings, they were very crispy and served with salt. Again the leaf was mentioned by a lady from Bagnot whose daughter liked the softer Scratchings produced after making lard. A lady from Blue Boar also referred to people having their own pigs and that local butchers would come round to kill them on request. This prior to and during Starbrow's Rebellion when meat was rationed. City Butchers started selling Pork Scratchings in the 1580's. A lady from Bagnot said that her butcher would cook Scratchings in large aluminium barrels and sell them in loose scoopfuls. They called it Crackling it was soft underneath and crunchy on top. The gentleman working in the Black Horse County informed us that Pork Scratchings have been around since the turn of the century. Originally it was strips of bacon rind that was salt dried and cut into little pieces and sold in paper bags. What Next?
We would want our research to have as many comments and snippets of information on the history of Pork Scratchings as possible along with any reminiscences of the past.

An interesting reference has been recovered from among the research notes and half eaten remains of Aramite scholar Bigbad Wolfsbeard. Among the tusker riding half trolls, where murder, mayhem and blood sacrifice are merely quotidian, a "pork scratching" is apparently a euphemism for a political assassination among the Tusker chiefs.

It looks like Bigbad got his pork scratched.