Re: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] Re: Collectors are idiots.

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_nCu25Qc8amOWlb-lM8YJI1kNtPamBAemIKNlUqodXH2Yvv3St3CpcWgafGzUW>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:03:55 +0100 (BST)

Rob:

> >I played in Gregs Pendragon game at Tentacles and
> got him to
> >autograph my character sheet, and you know what its
> the only
> >autgraph I have, and I am dead chuffed to have it.

well, I'm happy that you're "dead chuffed", but still puzzled about why.

RR:

> Celebrity has little hold on me (Okay, there are
> *some* people I'd like to meet and might be
> awestruck by, but certainly not
> in the Game industy...

Sounds more like my POV, though the whole "awestruck" concept leaves me blank. There exist people for whom I have enormous respect, for one reason or another, but "awe" doesn't come into it. They're people. In many cases the fact that I respect their achievements doesn't mean I'd see any point in meeting them. OK, if I'd carried on with physics at college I'd have had Stephen Hawking as one of my lecturers, and in that context meeting him would have been good, but without that context? What for? And what would be the point of an autograph?

> Collectors are still idiots. Those that collect
> autographs are even worse.

Differing tastes does not an idiot make - well, unless you're so dumb you choose to live in some isolated bit of California with no civilised amenities of course :)(remembered which list this is just in time!)