Re: Convention fundraisers

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ZtaMB_AhooYp9JwtqP7SdFp8tRaWYLBVD8J-hH_AQadbqKXAwkRmepS9IZw04bkBsyi>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:15:26 +1200

At 04:39 PM 6/16/2006 +1000, you wrote:

>It's a very roleplaying thing
>- part community spirit, part working as a group with whatever resources
>come to hand, and part making it up as we go along.

I fail to see how something that benefits 15 people is an example of community spirit. Given the group that worked on it are disinclined for it reach the wider community (cf Jeff Richard's "I don't care" post), the situation resembles one where a clique of toadies and hanger-ons have created a cartel situation in which the best products are reserved for themselves while the rest of us are fit only to live on beans and rice.

>Yes, its theoretically possible that it might have been published as an
>unfinished work: that was one of the original options considered. For a
>variety of practical reasons, it was not the way we went.

And what are these variety of practical reasons? I know of no practical reason why a manuscript once extant can never ever again be published WHICH IS THE SITUATION THAT EXISTS WITH THE WORK IN DISCUSSION.
>Those who are so miffed about the creation of this beautiful work have yet
>to suggest alternative means of convention fundraising.

But, shit-for-brains, the issue isn't about the collector's edition. Various collector's editions of heroquest products have been put out all the time. What is at issue is the elitist decision that there will be no ordinary products for the rest of us.

>And as for all this 'elitist' bullshit...

It's true whether you like it or not.

--Peter Metcalfe