Re: Convention fundraisers

From: David Cake <dave_at_o3V0_MtmCS8wgXCrmT9PiLH-qBHu61VRboK9oo8Q_f50iNASyFy5GgRv0REVZmwcqHJKeyh>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:34:51 +0800

At 12:49 PM +0000 15/6/06, Jeff Richard wrote:
> If they wanted to make only one copy and bury it
>in a vault for twenty years, that's fine with me. Because at the
>end of the day, I am not in this for the money, I am in this for my
>friends and not for money.

        I respectfully suggest that if you fully follow this line of reasoning, you might decide that anything that makes some of your friends pissed at the others probably isn't a good idea. I understand your motivations completely, but hopefully we have learnt some lessons here about what is a good idea for the future and what isn't.

        I agree with the sentiment that its the good people at the heart of Glorantha fandom that make it what it is. I wish I'd been able to get to see more of the Glorantha tribe in the last few years myself, sadly its a bit more northern hemisphere centric than it was, and I have got a bit more focussed on SF fandom. It was an absolute pleasure to meet a few people at the Glasgow worldcon last year, such as Wulf and especially Alex Ferguson, but its been far too long since I've seen folks like the SFC.

        But some policies aren't good for that community in the long run even if they help conventions raise cash in the short term.

At 12:49 PM +0000 15/6/06, Jeff Richard wrote:
>PS. I forgot to add - Peter, go fuck yourself.

	Well, I understand the motivations of that, too.
	Cheers
		David