Re: Turtle's Headcheese

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_pBlERFyAMlfd4x2DW_6GQi2qWRULMt24OfJ3H7yF2xX1m7BQ1r7zpsRpSZ5KF06>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 12:13:39 -0800 (PST)

> But that way you don't have to unwrap it -- the
> cheese and the food are equally tasty and
digestible!

Urk. I rest my case.

> > In all seriousness, can you actually get any
> Mexican cheeses where any of you live?

> We have an excellent selection of craft (not Kraft)
> cheeses, but they don't sell in normal supermarkets,
> so you'll never see them unless you go looking.

     Very true. Farmer's markets and the like are the best hunting grounds, I'll bet. I gather that there are at least 200 or so smallish American cheesemakers who are trying to get people more interested in real food. And good for them!

     Not that Canadian cheese is all good, either. We, too, have the dreaded Kraft in our supermarkets. We have the Cheese Police up here, too, trying to insist that raw milk is inherently dangerous, ditto stuff made from it.

     Worst case that I know of was in Upper Canada Village, which is a recreation of an 1800's St Lawrence village, with its own mill, blacksmith shop, etc. They also have a cheese factory, which the regulatory sods tried to shut down, on the grounds that it wasn't a modern factory. Well, duh! Then they said, OK, you can sell it, but clad everything in steel, and don't let in any of the public. Likewise, duh! The St Lawrence Parks Commission managed to fend off their governmental colleagues, but it took a fight.

Alison

Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your fit. http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097