Re: Re: cheese

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_Rtx-Q-6X4TcN_WW7L5gHLEtsDBPqGL4lK7Se3q42QOwwDr9zMht0glGovG16S>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 07:30:10 +0000 (GMT)

> > You're not missing much, Jane. Colby is just
> > cheddar that will never grow up.
>
> The point of the Colby is that it melts really well
> and picks up the the flavor of whatever you cook
> with it. Frankly, Monterrey Jack isn't much
> different.

Yes, I can see that when you want a cheese to blend in with subtle flavours without dominating the dish, a good Cheddar is not going to do it. Melts well, yes, picks up other flavours, no.

Then I look at the word "subtle", and consider the quantities of chillies that go into any TexMex cooking I've ever met, and boggle slightly. I can quite see that texture will be more important than flavour.