Re: Bull-Turtle's-Head.

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_985fPPYkLf_Yxvl727_FmhQBrm94ZcDMGPxw9CT0M_ikOqi3--VMyv73SjYvZm0-2gRq>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:12:21 -0000

> I thought it was the Canadians, rather than us,
> though. My knowledge of Canadian and American history
> is admittedly vague, but I know I saw a list of "ten
> reason to be Canadian" (there were lisst for lots of
> countries), and items 1,3,5,7,9,and 11 out of 10 were
> "only country ever to invade the USA and burn their
> capital to the ground".

Nope, that's was British regular troops under Major-General Ross. The Canadians had no involvement in the Burning of Washington (and Chris is right about the White House - it was actually sandstone painted white prior to the War of 1812). One of the few casualties of the Burning of Washington was the destruction of the Library of Congress, including many priceless historical documents.

Actually, no one came out of the War of 1812 looking particularly competent (except for Andy Jackson). Of Britain's four objectives in its retaliatory invasion of the United States—Lake Champlain, New Orleans, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.— Washington was the only successful attack. Although the British had successfully diverted the attention of Washington away from the war and prevented further American incursions into Canada, American field commanders repelled almost every British attack for the remainder of the war.

In short, only Andy Jackson gets much boasting rights from their performance in that war.