Re: Re: The Truth About Tom Cruise 9Was Dark Duck Secrets)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_XBCuwqXCJQNK0BJtLRK1BraALC3h4ocLxUBMeYQxG7acTj9fgkk-BA08q2h7c>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:47:59 +0000 (GMT)

> Heck, Western
> Australia is larger than Alaska and is the second
> largest subnational
> entity in the world. And it consists of you, some
> sand, a few dingoes and a lot of holes in the dirt.

I was just wondering, for Australia, Texas, and come to think of it Canada: yes, lots of land area. But how much of it is, by reasonable human standards, habitable? The descriptions I've heard of Texas suggest that "none" is a pretty close approximation, Western Australia sounds similiar (no water, temperates high enough to kill), and Canada in winter seems to be buried under about ten feet of snow.

I know terraforming can do good things, but how about somewhere you can just walk into and live? You know, with plants to eat and stuff? Where you don't need artificial protection from the climate?