Fantastic Fascist Fantasy

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_6pPgjzulKGLUlkYaASGnKaPWW1lAQLSi8Tqzj7Rwngh30F9HRS93ZVRuTPU_pspT0Gny>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 21:56:26 +1100

While this is undoubtedly the most useless, self-indulgent and utterly lame list since the days of Virgins for Britney, I'd like to offer you slavenly keyboard jockeys the chance to do something useful for a change.

Listen up, I need help. I'm typing real slow for the Brits on the list, so I hope you can follow. Mouth the letters if it helps.

If you're an Aussie and are planning to go to Phenomenon, please bugger off right now. Except maybe Michael Hitchens.

SPOILER ALERT. I'm slowly writing a module. Not Gloranthan, but a fairly serious systemless convention piece about alienation and modern relationships and a fascist coup during the Australian election campaign: see

http://mythologic.info/quest/index.html

(Yeah, like Das Boot writes.)

As part of that module, player characters take part in a futuristic online roleplaying game set in a kinda Norse-Germanic fantasy environment.

In the game-within-a-game, they are playing:

[Ambassador Theanke Asirdotter, diplomat, rune carver, wielder of the
vril staff.]
[Warleader Leonoki the Berserker, reaver and godi.]
[Prince Sigmund Farstrider, fighter, romantic, breeder of fine ducks.]
[Rowenna the Frowe Dreieich, thief, gyrda, dweller among shadows.]
[Alrich Thrall-born, delver, ironmonger, mechanist, auslander.]

And again, there are character piccies on the web page for the semiotically-challenged

The rp game's role is to introduce fascist values (loyalty, cruelty, racism, 'purity', lack of choice, mythic heroism, disregard for death) with positive feedback, and to subtly invoke the symbols of nazi mysticism centred on the Invisible Sun. Basically, the game is a recruitment tool for the uber-cons.

I've listed the player character-characters on the web page: I want to introduce them into a fast paced, minimal system (GM only dice, HQ-like source runes for spells), thirty minute game session that simulates a DnD-like world with high energy and lashings of potential humour. The game system is supposed to be a high-tech, biofeedback partial immersion thingee; and the players will know its highly addictive and emotive.

I'd like the session to evoke that through the mini-plot. Basically, I guess I'm asking for ideas: what was the best session you've ever played using similar genre and character types, and what sort of simple mini-scenario can I spring?

Plot can be virtually anything. It might involve the hollow earth, a mystic spear, vile sub-races, lizard-like alien wizards, sacred runes, a pure remnant fighting for survival, texas, gubernatorial battles: anything really. It might be as simple as a basketball game involving a magic widgit and a room full of orcs. I can knot the mythology around it later, for now I need ideas for a simple, highly paced, fast flowing roleplaying dilemma.

The lighter the better for when I twist the knife and bring them down to earth .

Any ideas, whole or half baked? Vague campaign memories or anecdotes?

I'll acknowledge the input of all who contribute to this thread, and email you a PDF of the module if you like when its done. (Unless I don't like you, in which case I'll just do what EGG does).

Thanks. My apologies if there was anyone I didn't insult in the rush.

Cheers

John

--
john_at_8l9QQKsahNMZub1vr47Wy5qfuyRWYg5Y45u83FIWWrtL3VaSbHDGmkfSgyqORbZcNuInj6K7-AoqZiVH.yahoo.invalid                  John Hughes
Mythologic: http://mythologic.info

  May God us keep
  From Single vision and Newton's sleep!
  - William Blake, Letter to Thomas Butts, 22 November 1802.