Re: Re: Blue Pill Time

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_zHxqH4JFdXln70rchv_vThobEcwi5mpiKh64NeJgj6Qssp8ex5_pWklAZAWnz>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:49:02 +0100 (BST)

> I'm taking a break in packing up my stuff and
> shutting down (largely
> unsuccessfully) my many affairs in the good old USA
> to be gratuitously
> abusive.

Packing up? You're moving? Or what?

> > I'm still on all the groups that have a reason for
> > existence. Not the one that only got created in
> the
> > first place because Greg won't lower himself to
> even
> > acknowledge the existence of the ones that have
> been
> > running for decades, and which he tells me is for
> > group of Elite People. I'm not "elite". I don't
> want
> > anything to do with anyone who declares themselves
> > part of a self-appointed "elite".
>
> The creation of the World of Glorantha list had
> nothing to do with this so-called "elite"

That is what Greg said. I can quite believe that he was wrong, but that's what he said.

>and everything to do with intellectual
> property issues.

Which were not mentioned at the time of setup: only "hey, new idea, let's have a list that just discusses Glorantha!" Huh? We had one. The only difference given was "and this is the only one Greg's on". Quite possibly what was said bore no resemblance to the truth: but in that case, why say it?

> If
> people ask really politely at Tentacles, I might
> tell the more of the story.

I won't be there. Enjoy. Drink my beer: I'm not allowed any.

> > No, you get a boycott because I have had more than
> > enough of The Great Greg implying that his
> creative
> > whims are more important than his CUSTOMERS..

> Are you sure you even want to go down this path?

No. But it's where he went. Hence the disgust.

> First, Greg (and
> myself, and Mark Galeotti, and many of the other
> folk who write with
> Greg) do this largely for artistic and creative
> reasons - the small
> amounts of money involved are hardly the motivation
> for anything other than a commissioned work.

Makes sense. But he claims to be a professional. His claim, not mine. If he makes the claim, he should live up to it. If he's claiming to be a professional, but not making money out of it, that just means he's an incompetent professional.

> FYI, I don't get paid a cent for the stuff
> I've produced.

Nope. Never imagined you did.

> Second, the Glorantha described in "gaming
> supplements" is always going to be fundamentally
MGF. Of course. That's what it's for.

> My games deviate
> from my creative writings and that's just fine. I
> let my players do
> things that I'd never allow in my writings. These
> are two different mediums.

Again, of course. There's stuff I do in Swords that I know perfectly well would clash horribly with other people's Gloranthas. A distinct line between my game, and stuff I write that I hope *will* be of use to others. And, come to think of it, the occasional thought experiment, clearly marked as such.

> And then when
> something creative is produced, they bitch about how
> it doesn't fit
> their preconceived format. "Be creative, but only
> within the ranges
> we self-appointed guardians of the 'CUSTOMERS' want
> you to be."

They're SELLING it. Not saying "here, take it if you fancy it, hope it's of interest/use." There is this claim to be professionals. Even the idea that Greg should check the work of others for "correctness", when them checking his work would be a damn sight more use. If it's an amateur production, done for free, then yes, some slips may happen and be excused (though in fact most amateurs are pretty careful). But if I pay for a bit of software, I expect it to work. If I pay for a car, I expect it to work. If I pay for an RPG supplement, I expect that to work, too. And random incompatibility because someone was feeling artistic means it does not work. "Creative" is very nice when you're doing something for yourself, but when you're being paid for it, doing what you want to do instead of what's required is not one of the options on the menu. If you think it is, please tell my boss, and I'll spend my time in work writing games, not finance modules.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/