Re: Re: Blue Pill Time

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_in3YS1KtvlffoyDp31rdXqeV-Z3Q73140eXZ9hikPFPI2ZS7zN9oUuqHRwwq6NYK>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:01:20 +1000

Minty types slowly...

>Can I get the uncensored responses now?
>
>Jimbo? Booty? Pistol Pete? Calamity Jane?

I respond equally slowly, sharing the love around.

Uncensored responses to what? Vinga? Nicknames? The New List? Bidets? Hippy texans?

In short...

I'm for her (him); as long as they're crude and vulgar; it all goes in the same inbox; too French for me (and you know what *THEY* do in the shower don't you); and I haven't laughed so much since I saw Leonidas give his 'freedom and liberty' speech in the trailer for 300. (You can accuse Frank Miller of many things, but lacking a sense of irony is not one of them).

I apologise to any New Zealanders reading who many not know what a bidet is, and to any Brits who may not know what a shower is. I also apologise to any hippy Texans who may not know what irony is, and to RRR who knows who Leonidis and Frank Miller are but not what fascism is, apparently.

(I also know I will pay for at least two of the above cheap shots. Deservedly.)

If you mean the Vinga 'active woman = man, girl on girl action' thing, I shared Jane's shock (though not as deeply as she did), but I also respect both Greg and Jeff's mythic vision. I see problems in selling it to players if it became a general thing, which I'm sure it won't. I could make a case using the same assumptions that male homosexuality should be much more common among the Storm gods, or that bisexuality should be de rigeur for Lunar characters. I'd say it was further bad news for women players, but lets face it, we don't have any (an Orlanthi none). The Storms Gods losing a battle and blaming it on Vinga's pregnancy sounds like 'its all the woman's fault', a mythic trope that has a looong and not terribly illustrious pedigree.

I should also say that apart from venting, I really don't want to discuss the arguments here, especially with (ex) lawyerJeff moving continents and Jane feeling so stressed. I'm doing an essay of sorts for the main list, trying to look at all sides in a calm and non-provocative manner (Petey's giving lessons), which I'll post in a week or so. (I'm playtesting a new module this weekend, so am juggling stuff left right and centre).

Let's face it, the Heortling division of sexes is pretty extreme essentialism, even for a fantasy setting. That division has explicitly been around for a long time now, and this is but the latest implication of it's application coming to light. My reservations are with the underlying vision, not the Vinga implication. But heck, YGWV, YGMV, and besides, in roleplaying reacting *against* a game ideology is a big part of the fun. My Glorantha has always been 'anti-hero'. I've always been a Kallyri. I treat ducks seriously (in campaign) and treat trollkin and mostali as sad jokes. So what? MGAV. When my lot came to play Red Dawn (remember that?), we all wanted to be Cubans ('cept me of course,: I didn't want to be typecast again)).

I accept that some Heortling men and women accept the view that Jeff presented totally: I also suggest that there are Heortling men and women who think its a load of broo's cobblers and who will tell you some highly entertaining counter myths.

More on the main list, later.

I apologise (profusely) for the multiplication of parentheses (obviously, they're not Vingans). And for being long in the short of it.

Peace on your houses, from a great height.

Jimbo