Re: Re: Vinga chiseler?

From: Jakob Pape <chaomancer_at_z-7wjdBuL6w81e7CSsK6P_RkJk0WeIcF86jvSuVAI5rGH4DxaEnv_eHoHjgMf82J7>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:37:37 +0100

On 4/23/07, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_mHRYjTerHBE8V74p158GWfjzEgE7LsFJQ4ZSZMn6R6mv4qWJy80ebyUgAVRiD0ENFBtod-Hnxz62n3cJ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> > Thank god for YGWV! I have read up on this hitherto unknown version
> > of Vinga being somewhat like an inverse Nandan. What a load of old
> > shit. That explanation would have a gone down like a Thanatari pole
> > dancer at a Uroxi convention with just about every female who ever
> > played in my Glorantha. Vinga is a socially acceptable outlet for
> > women warriors. To insist that they must be some kind of 'geezer-
> > bird' is dolorous. I aint got nothing against lezzie Vingans, I'd
> > rent that movie any day of the week, but I just don't see the point.
>
> And here is the difference between "popular Glorantha" and "mythic
> Glorantha" that got Jane so pissed off. Needing a "socially
> acceptable outlet for women warriors" is a game construct. Folk want
> to play Xena with red hair.

But - that would be the lesbian Vingan, wouldn't it...? :)

Fine. The game rules allow that. But don't be surprised if the
> underlying mythology doesn't match up with the game construct.

Yeah, what's annoying about that is that there isn't anywhere (that I'm aware of) that draws attention to the difference between popular and mythic Glorantha. If there is a divide, could I please find out which books are in which, so I can stick to the rpg ones? I thought Storm Tribe talked about the Orlanthi gods, but it seems like you're saying it's a simplified version for popular Glorantha. If so, I'll just stick with the popular stuff, so I won't have to worry about the contradictions between it and the rest.

I'll buy the purely mythic stuff if I have spare cash, but what I want from the products is a game. Stuff that contradicts game info isn't terribly useful to me, though it might have interesting ideas. I would have preferred not to have to make the choice, of course - if HeroQuest was written in the mythic Glorantha setting, that would have worked nicely. Since it wasn't, I'll just have to ignore whatever mythic stuff contradicts it.

--
Jakob Pape

"Sometimes subtlety comes in the form of large explosions and jammed open
airlock doors."