Re: Re: Vinga chiseler?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_8u6YGUKzD6m82Kksi1-aRrD1pyPmGy7FnRkhp63QXon-rtFYQT4NkIi_hZX0gUG6>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:08:02 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff Crap-speaker:
> And here is the difference between "popular Glorantha" and "mythic
> Glorantha" that got Jane so pissed off. Needing a "socially
> acceptable outlet for women warriors" is a game construct. Folk want
> to play Xena with red hair. Fine. The game rules allow that. But don't be surprised if the
> underlying mythology doesn't match up with the game construct.

With genuine respect to Jeff, that's a load of bison-shit. Using this example, look at the U.S. Army and tell me there isn't a real world need for a "socially acceptable outlet for women warriors." It's not just a game construct. And, to the extent it is a game construct, it is just as much a story-telling construct. If people want to play Xena with red hair because it's a great story.

How about we argue about the extent to which Kallyr _is_ Xena with red hair? If she isn't, it doesn't matter whether its gaming material or deep myth: she still isn't. I don't demand perfect correlation between published materials of any kind, but I don't buy any supposed difference between popular and mythic Glorantha. There are excusable differences:

Chris, with a Molotov cocktail in one hand and a Margarita in the other, trying to remember which not to drink.