Re: Vinga chiseler?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_p8pGxjHcYjH1l12Ric7sicGUXyn6hgbSKHbA28z1GSaThSVRoEAPURjsUvDUSEe1wr6h>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:49:21 -0000

> So, what you are saying is that women warriors aren't socially
> acceptable unless they become lesbian?

Nope. I am saying that a religious cult of women warriors are going to have all sorts of social and magical taboos that are going to make it very difficult for them to act as normal women. Important things like pregnancy are likely to be taboo (if only for some very basic practical reasons). Vingans don´t have to be lesbians. Then again Uroxi don´t have to be psychotics.

> Let's put it this way: a chieftain relying on his weaponthanes to be
> ready to defend his people will be "not amused" if one or several of
> them excuse themselves because of pregnancy/breastfeeding, regardless
> of the cult. Logical conclusion: a warrior serving as weaponthane must
> not get pregnant (or lose the rank, position, and regard). A would-be
> warrioress who joins a warrior cult less suited to her profession
> (whichever that may be) to be part of the fyrd, and maybe even the
> volunteer warband, is in a quite different situation. She will have a
> harder time making a living, and being less productive in the clan
> will mean she is of considerably lesser standing than the weaponthane
> Vingan. She still can be a cattle-guard (aka herder) or a regular part
> of the armed trade expeditions.

This was Greg´s point. The odd Vingan who is not a fulltime warrior (who will be supporting her?) might find it difficult to get much respect within the cult as well.

> So a warrioress has got herself pregnant, but intends to continue as
> weaponthane when the pregnancy is over and the child given away to
> kin. What can she do? Demand a sabbatical, and cease being a
> weaponthane for that time. Possibly even cease being a Vingan for that
> time, joining Ernalda instead. She might decide to return to Vinga
> afterwards, but will find her professional career damaged, and her
> former position unavailable. (Sounds familiar?)

Yep. She might find herself rejected by her own goddess as well, and need the powerful embrace and protection of Ernalda.

> One thing most of these warrior goddesses have in common is that they
> are quite ancient, preceding Roman and Greek historians. Their mythic
> cycles (as much as they are remembered) precede the "male fantasy"
> ones (like the Iliad or Finn and the Fiona).

> So, in all the Vinga myths there ought to be a place for the pregnant
> warrioress. And it shouldn't be the rule, but an exception from the
> exception.

There are. Vinga herself got pregnant. It wasn't a good idea, bad things resulted from it, but her daughter was the founder of the Red Haired Lodge. Drenyan the Archer got pregnant and gave birth to Heort. The world was dying and the gods and goddesses dead, and creating life at that point was a much greater reward than any consequence.

Jeff