Re: Vinga chiseler?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_50plk2zqv49P04NL0fOJQgNvyQu5hYSdiQG328yL7l9knUaiJS0Ng8X7AUiWBLFA48Tu>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 07:59:56 -0000

> I admire Jeff as a Gloranthani and swordsman and legendary freeform
> writer....

Thanks! :) Swordsman? It has been a long time since I used to fence.... :)

> But Jeff continues to defame the goddes we all know and love by
> proceeding to libelise her and Heortling women in general
> with cringe worthy statements like,

OK. First things first. Vinga is just not that important in my opinion. She´s a minor little goddess, not even the most popular of the Warrior Women (Vinga, Erantha Gor, Maran Devor, Babeester Gor, Bevara, Enferalda, Redalda, etc). She´s basically the warrior goddess for women who take upon themselves the violent and deadly tasks normally reserved to men. Personally, I think Enferalda and Bevara are just as useful in war as Vinga and I find Kev far far far more intimidating than Vinga. But that´s just me. Most dangerous player character in any of our Seattle Farmer campaigns was Pam Carlson´s Ernalda priestess. Now she could whip the Thunder Brothers into line with a meaningful glare......

But that´s all I really have to say about Vinga. She´s just not that important.

> Get a pair dude. Do you know that your tone reeks of 'I know how it
> really is, whatever you say will always be flawed because I hold a
> contrary view.'

I know how it really is in my mind. Which is frankly all I care about - YGWV. Write something interesting and watch me change my mind. But as it is, I think Vinga is vastly and dramatically overrated and overstated. She just isn´t that important of an Orlanthi goddess.

> Obviously as you are a Yank (a race filled with its own self-
> importance) so I can at least understand why you are the way you are.

Dear God for a moment I forgot we were on the Immoderate List! So it is wrong for me to write with a patronizing tone but perfectly acceptable for others to make sweeping (and, as written, oddly racist)   statements insulting some 300 million people? Just trying to figure out the rules here. :)

> These lists are a fan
> based talking shop and statements like that read, whether you intend
> it or not, like an attempt to end the debate, slap down noobs, and
> as a statement of self agrandisement. I don't happen to think any of
> that is the case, but thats how it reads.

Here´s one of the weaknesses of email as a debating forum - any strong argument proferred (unless it is filled with ritual caveats) has an unfortunate tendancy to read like an attempt to end the debate, slap down noobs, or statements of self aggrandizement. I apologize for the many times I have done that inadvertently.

Jeff