Re: In Defence Of A Goddess

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_E7l-n6wmEV4bEwPeNMxIDEmniK2Ax8gKLJWeVA_1ve29cEUoBL8W7L5ZNqdPd0u0rio3>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 16:17:32 -0500

"Me too" posts are pathetic, but so is this list, so ...

On 5/5/07, Sam Elliot <samclau_at_xPRfUPML_Yt1cbClEUQ881ZuKxBg_QFrzlxPTEjPFxtmYz27fIuGpJ_swlvAs8509AAecZDa61Ak6w.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> I think you should post this pretty much as is to the other list(s), John.

I agree that as is, this would work, though other than WoG, is there another list to post this on? A more politely worded version would work as long as that doesn't obscure the message.

I also think there's plenty of room for Vinga Mark II, as long as it is an option, not the norm. Just to beat a dead horse a little more, words such as "many," "some," or "a significant number of" "Vingans are ..." rather than a rewriting, would have done wonders for the palatability of this new vision of Vinga.

On 5/5/07, Mark Galeotti <markgaleotti_at_upyfQF6g7narAElDP5WEtLsVUhTg66kRrnBIXTmYSYljsfMkeGFWlO9miAt6DkD3A6hBPYkfPRcGHz0_.yahoo.invalid> wrote: [lots of snipped advocacy about the Empire's acceptance of "good bits for women"]

This works for the Empire's lapdogs, but it's useless for the freedom fighters who oppose Shepelkirt (a view which has a long history, and likely still a popular following).

It would be nice to provide some "adventurey" female magic keywords that don't require the character to be a helpmeet a la Eve (the supporter goddesses), a lesbian (Vinga Mark II, implied in some Maran Gor subcults), of mutable gender (Heler), or asexual/asexual psychos (Babs Gor, some Maran Gor subcults). (Earth goddess PCs heavily outnumber Vingan PCs in my games, but I'm not going to run the NPCs like this.)

This quote is very apropos:

On 5/4/07, Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_MlFvdeLIzQFfa6fYNDyyJqLdOYf78lIN-thhXpNvjQC4V6IFPltEkxlmDoy9sOP0zFQ-RiZN-Eu2bZn1Zy6QzQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> ... It has nothing to do with capability. It has to do wiith
> desire. A world with combat magic is like the modern age. Women can fight if they have
> the stuff (magic or technology). The question is whether they have the desire. The US
> Army shows that a significant number do.

It's a fantasy world. In a world with magic, llama riders, wasp riders, trolls, and other non-historical, fantasy bits, there should be room for non-Lunar adventurous female characters - unless that's "too awful to even think about."

Thanks,
Andy

P.S. A lot of yanks look stupid when they say "my bad" too.