Re: In Defence Of A Goddess

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_pyDpydmAiT_CuL1z8vh-wXR-vnos29zYtrJpd_7aS8HDxtUFmM5OOmTFx3sm_SJGWXCw>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 12:12:51 -0000

> I still think Vinga's an overranked goddess, with too much
attentionpaid to her because of who her #1 follower in modern Glorantha is.

I agree - except I donīt think much attention is paid to her because of any Third Age Gloranthan characters. There has long been a tendency to make Vinga a more important goddess than she is - mainly because a lot of people like the idea of red-haired warrior chicks. Although some of Vingaīs biggest supporters are women, some of the biggest critics of Vinga as described in fan material are women as well (frex, it was Pam Carlson who first called Vinga a bad Red Sonja ripoff - she pointedly never played a Vinga. Heck, all the Vingan player characters Iīve see were played by male players... which says something interesting I think).

Personally, I think Ernalda is a much more interesting and complex goddess. I also think that Thunder Rebels did Ernalda a disservice in making most of the suggested Feats in the subcults relatively uninteresting. Ernalda, not Vinga, should be the goddess of Orlanthi feminism - if women can do it, Ernalda can do it.

IMV, Vinga is fine as one of several martial goddesses worshiped by the Orlanthi. Her main claim to fame is that she allows women to participate in the men's cult - Orlanth. Otherwise, she just isn't that terribly important a cultic figure.

Jeff