Re: Re: In Defence Of A Goddess

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_H1mjIXaX2mLr1b4Z0M6MEXr399Wp23OsAiQcOHhWJsPyVjBrbe6vwgop_pMK617CSgPW>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 14:27:57 -0500

On 5/6/07, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_ZxzSvtNz1NsDpBQ5-fe07TailKxJAItUoqXP8LoZXcaYPTVZ2rHfFamZo7nNh0xuP3UTt4wOdfqy7w.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> Come on - Vinga just is not that important a cultic figure. Not
> compared with Orlantha and Ernalda. Or Esrola. Or the Seven
> Lightbringers. Or Barntar.

In a house rules sense, you're correct. In a published Issaries sense, you're not. Someone (maybe an easy to scapegoat former editor - but I doubt that any such person did this solo) made the decision to devote 15 pages of Storm Tribe to Vinga, and only 4 pages to Barntar (and 2 to Maran Gor, despite pages of coolness in harder-to-acquire, non-Issaries publications). Esrola is almost a footnote in Thunder Rebels at 2.5 pages.

This attention to Vinga puts her on par with the other major deities in Storm Tribe, like the Lightbringers. The emphasis on Vinga vs. Esrola (for example) is IMO because of the adventure gaming advantages of Vinga, but Vinga still has several subcults (not just hero cults), which implies many worshippers. Plus, Vinga is how a female character gets access to cool Storm feats.

On 5/6/07, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_ZxzSvtNz1NsDpBQ5-fe07TailKxJAItUoqXP8LoZXcaYPTVZ2rHfFamZo7nNh0xuP3UTt4wOdfqy7w.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> Personally, I think Ernalda is a much more interesting and complex
> goddess. I also think that Thunder Rebels did Ernalda a disservice in
> making most of the suggested Feats in the subcults relatively
> uninteresting. Ernalda, not Vinga, should be the goddess of Orlanthi
> feminism - if women can do it, Ernalda can do it.

I agree. I'd add that a lot of Heler's (another suggested alternative to Vinga) feats pale in comparison to the Orlanth's feats.

Thanks,
Andy