Re: In Defence Of A Goddess

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_VK0tvnkg7CnqpdQ3TKs-GNrCcB16N0lGWRG7s7XCgRr8n_v-tGLiEoJ9iuQIP5VBWN65>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 21:24:16 -0000

> In a house rules sense, you're correct. In a published Issaries sense,
> you're not. Someone (maybe an easy to scapegoat former editor - but I
> doubt that any such person did this solo) made the decision to devote
> 15 pages of Storm Tribe to Vinga, and only 4 pages to Barntar (and 2
> to Maran Gor, despite pages of coolness in harder-to-acquire,
> non-Issaries publications). Esrola is almost a footnote in Thunder
> Rebels at 2.5 pages.

Vinga got so much attention because she has a loyal player fan base. Not because she is a culturally important goddess. Barntar got stiffed IMO. Same with Esrola.

> This attention to Vinga puts her on par with the other major deities
> in Storm Tribe, like the Lightbringers. The emphasis on Vinga vs.
> Esrola (for example) is IMO because of the adventure gaming advantages
> of Vinga, but Vinga still has several subcults (not just hero cults),
> which implies many worshippers. Plus, Vinga is how a female character
> gets access to cool Storm feats.

Actually many subcults can also imply much regional variation. I doubt more than one subcult is commonly found amongst a given tribe or even group of tribes.

As for your last sentence, that's exactly Greg's point. Vinga is how a female character gets access to (Orlanthi) male magic.

Jeff