Re: Is it really all about pointed sticks?

From: David Cake <dave_at_NJFtoPlUbhkw70d0dRQKWqrTxPjBFt9FZdSJP-UJSjpv4yBP0RSWdm2WMeeWrI_b6eCZgCx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:24:32 +0800

At 12:22 PM +1000 9/5/07, Michael Hitchens wrote:
>On Tue, 8 May 2007, Mark Galeotti wrote:
>
>> Comrades!
>>
>> The debate on Vinga/Ernalda very often seems to come down to a notion
>> that the latter is boring for PCs.
>
>I beg to differ. While the feats for Ernalda are questionable in their
>usefullness, the concept of an Ernaldan PC is, in my opinion not.
>Certainly of less usefulness in some "go cattle raiding and bash some
>lunars" contents. But, as, for example, a Sartar campaign proceeds, and
>the politing amongst the potential Argrath's emerges, an Ernaldan would
>certainly have the potential to come into their own.
>
>So, to me at least, it is not about Vinga - good, Ernalda - bad.
>
>It's about options. For male characters we have a range of options, both
>combat and non-combat. The non-combat options for mfemales are there.
>But the combat options are more limited - and with the changes being
>suggested to Vinga your female PC options are "wierdo", "psycho" or
>"non-combat". Which is less than is presented for males. And that's the
>problem.
	Yes.
	That Ernaldan characters don't fit into the majority of
standard campaigns that well is one issue. Perhaps it represents a deficiency in the majority of campaigns - regardless of how its judged, its still the case that most campaigns are combat focussed.

        But the real issue is that male characters can choose to be an Orlanthi, including a wide range of nuanced options giving them access to both combat and non-combat archetypes. They don't have to choose between being a typical roleplaying character (suited to adventure and derring do in small groups) and being a potential societal leader. They also have both combat and non-combat roles available regardless of their sexual orientation or inclination. Female characters are told deviance from the sexual norm is more or less their only choice if they wish to be anything like a typical RPG character. And BTW, they'll be cutting themselves off from female leadership roles in their society too.

        The idea that its deep and mythic is just pretending individual creative choices are elevated beyond criticism by being historically common. The idea that its so very Gloranthan - female warriors in both warrior roles and roles of social importance have always been very prevalent in Gloranthan, both official and creative, while the allegedly mighty and dominant Ernaldans quite notably have not.

        I mean, if Greg really thinks the dominant female roles in Heortling society should be Ernaldan, you'd think in the last twenty years he would have written a few stories where Ernaldans do something notable and interesting.

	Cheers
		David