Re:AW: Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_Z-NraxSWZ2HQLQp1Lk2jS3H-pJn7mOAYQUg9N__53cnlFma5BqgYanSm6JGvMMCKeeHN>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:53:47 -0000

> And as Peter mentions, all 'Orlanthi' women must now be
> retrospectively classified as Vingans. Ie Pay Surney (and Euclia
> Stormfollower, etc) in Griffin Mountain, Ariella The Actress.

I think Pay Surney and Eucleia are Vingans, but not exactly with well-defined stories.

> Regardless of which it isn't a Vinga vs Ernalda issue, its an
> Ernalda vs - the issue is that if Vinga is the only way into the
> Orlanth cult for women (a poor decision in the first place), and
> majority of fun characters with interesting stories Greg has written
> about are Orlanthi, then surely if you say being in Vinga makes you
> freakish and odd because you don't belong, what you are really saying
> is female characters that want to act out the the cool stories in
> Glorantha are freakish and odd. Being cool is for men, so all women
> that want to be a part of all those big stories must acknowledge
> their freakishness and unfemaleness somehow.

The women who want to act out Orlanth's stories are odd. Then again, men who worship Humakt or Storm Bull are odd. Hell, why don't we whine about all the restrictions on Humakti or Storm Bull worshipers in Orlanthi society? We've given lots of taboos and restrictions to men and women who worship Death, lots of taboos and restrictions to men who worship the Raging Bull. We even have restrictions on men who worship Ernalda (even if they are simply things like they aren't part of the fyrd). So, what sort of taboos or other restrictions should exist around a woman who gets to participate in men's secret rites?

Or is Vinga too important to you as a modern Western ideological statement to even play around with that question?

Jeff