Poor dim little me

From: Rick Meints <rjmeints_at_Z9jSHj4h3jJS7aZ8rqE0Jd-cuNxus-SohZu32X-k4w3Pf6ar6Ceg1pHCDcdXaBbO678>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 17:13:49 -0000

I just don't get all the fury and backlash over Vinga.

Jeff says that Vingans have normal fertility. Because Vingans don't want to get pregnant most may not want to have sex with men, choosing instead to just abstain or seek the company of women. Those that do want to have sex with men have to take their chances, find some contraception (mundane or magical), or a way to terminate their preganancy.

The alternative point of view is that Vingans are infertile and that the majority of Vingans enjoy sex with men when they seek sex.

Is this what all the furor is over: Whether a Vingan is fertile or infertile? Those that say "fertile" think Vingans may not chase after men that much. Those that say "infertile" think Vingans will chase after men to the same degree as any other woman.

Nobody seems to be saying that a Vingan getting pregnant wouldn't cause problems. Nobody seems to be saying a Vingan can't have sex with men, or women, or neither, or both.

It's almost as if some people believe Vingans get the "gift" of "infertility" with no "geas" (or one I can't think of) while Jeff believes there's no such "gift" available. Is that it?

Thus, I wonder if sorting out the can or can't get pregnant argument makes all the rest of the discussion moot.

Am I just too dim to see the real argument?

Fire when ready,
Minty