Re: Urox vs. Storm Bull

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_piFVTm6UrphCKFusJ6ifiBisXyrWX2SLL_7YJiJL4F2vD-HJAHgrRg2eNDDpGkX4>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:36:13 -0700 (PDT)

Peter, correcting me:

> >I don't think the other practices are really gender-oriented at all
> >(though, no doubt, a really great
> >example of one has slipped my mind and Peter will correct me).
>
> The Unicorn Tribe.

Thanks, Peter. (Did you know that "Peter" is redenck slang for penis?)

> I really envisage the female worship of Storm Bull as being like Europa &
> Zeus or KefTavar & Esus, in which a woman has a bull fighting for her.

Interesting idea, especially since animism relies, to some degree on getting your spirits to do things for you. As I understand it, the relationship between a woshipper and Storm Bull would not be one of emulation, as it is in theism; it is more of a negotiation, where you might undertake taboos and such to make the spirit happy.

> That's not to deny any possibility that a woman could be a grunty berserker
> but that it's unusual.

Bullmen are unusual to begin with (except among plater characters); female ones are more so (with the same caveat); I suppose "grunty" ones are the furthest end of the spectrum. But I think the overall point is that there's no theological problem with a grunty female Bullwoman.

> FWIW Borderlands has a minor Sablewoman character skirting with the possibility of
> joining Storm Bull but facing social disapproval.

I'm sure that there would be. Most moms and dads want their kids to grow up to be well-respected Eiritha women and Waha men. They don't want their sons to grow up to be Bullmen, either. It makes grand-children somewhat less likely. Shamans are well respected, but you never know what might happen to them. Daka Fal followers are OK, but they are not usually the pinnacle of society, where "every parent" wants their children to be. Again (not saying that Peter even implied this), social disapproval is different fro mtheological problems.

Chris