Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_-xJOrh5O2MskyizE65H6EqauBNGkEsti77xmgRE2VvHLpOfU-z1C2ixdwCtonxE82WPy>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 06:13:36 -0000

> Whats all that got to do with marginilising and neutering a 'popular
> among the masses of Gloranthaphiles' goddess and elevating a
> minor 'horse whisperer' deity to fill the void?

Thank you Rob for being the self-appointed speaker for "masses of Gloranthaphiles".

> and 'Jeff and Greg aren't sexist, but are trying to produce a Sartar
> for ancient heroic literature, not modern fantasy. ' yeah? Well,
> newsflash, its unpopular. And even Lucas wrote female Jedi (albeit
> rather lamely). And they are coming off as sexist, whether they
> intend or not.

Newsflash, I don't really care if things I write are unpopular with some people. My personal creative bursts are not based on consensus with self-appointed censors of what those creative bursts "should be".

> But like we keep saying not all women want to be princesses. Its just
> despairing to discover another stafford game providing fewer
> opportunities for female roleplayers as we learn more about it, or
> for male roleplayers who awant to play a female character (the Buffy
> factor I call it).

Then let Vinga be Buffy in YG. Then again, like Vinga, Buffy never gets pregnant. Then again, Buffy has access to reliable birth control.

> The fact is Vinga works, and these new insights are just un-fun, un-
> cool and at best offensive and at worst just plain hurtful to a lot
> of very nice people. But who cares about that eh?

Just plain hurtful? Man, you need to chill out. These are all fictional stories about non-existent beings and people. Remember, all we have said is that Vinga's cultists are women who magically get to perform men's roles - and even participate in men's secret magical rites. The only magical consequence of this is that a Vingan might experience magical consequences if she gets pregnant - and that Vingans are under strong social pressure not to get pregnant (especially since the clan might get really pissed off that one of the clan's professional thugs decided to take a leave of absence). As a result, most Vingans either avoid - or are very careful - when they have sex with men.

That's it. That's the un-fun, un-cool, at best offensive and at worst hurtful insight. That's our evil sexist destruction of Glorantha.

> I regularly ignore those anyway. And judging by what I am
> hearing, I intend to avoid them even more assiduosly!!

If you ignore the Unfinished Works and plan to avoid them, then I really don't care what you think about products you have already said you won't read.

Jeff