Re: Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: David Cake <dave_at_fRhCmMNHoGlVflcB5sr1bFJDus_xAEBUU2Tdm6yJxNS_Iwl4i-oolq3fp2r_JhUzhuqyllj>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:08:06 +0800

At 5:27 AM +0000 15/5/07, Rob wrote:
>Yeah, but....
>
>Whats all that got to do with marginilising and neutering a 'popular
>among the masses of Gloranthaphiles' goddess and elevating a
>minor 'horse whisperer' deity to fill the void?
>
>and 'Jeff and Greg aren't sexist, but are trying to produce a Sartar
>for ancient heroic literature, not modern fantasy. ' yeah? Well,
>newsflash, its unpopular. And even Lucas wrote female Jedi (albeit
>rather lamely). And they are coming off as sexist, whether they
>intend or not.
>
>I can see where Greg is coming from. He has recently been heavily
>invested in Arthuriana. I love Pendragon the game and the setting.
>But like we keep saying not all women want to be princesses. Its just
>despairing to discover another stafford game providing fewer
>opportunities for female roleplayers as we learn more about it, or
>for male roleplayers who awant to play a female character (the Buffy
>factor I call it).

        Oh, god. Trying to run Pendragon, especially in its original incarnation, with players who want to play women in meaningful roles just sucked. Its the massive unspoken flaw in Pendragon, methinks - and its a classic game design issue, the loving recreation of the attitudes of the source material, including the ones that are a real problem for gaming.

	Cheers
		David