Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_NlSYYvI3eDbv4hveg31vq0eehdIpErcRQ_WfH7lfXpNc2QDQXnjtp4C5hbNW_>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:45:45 -0000

Hi

Mr Galeotti makes a worthy point re Pendragon,

No problem there, Pendragon is unequivecal about its source material and the genders roles, as proscribed by the literature it is based on (Malory).

But ruins it all with this post,

> This is something I really don't get about part of
> this debate -- the notion that somehow Heortling culture ought not
> be sexist and have all kinds of stupid, patriarchal restrictions...
> you know, the way most RW cultures do. It's like complaining that
you
> can't have an Orlanthi ninja or be a Dara Happan hippy without your
> family disowning you.

Not at all Mark. If Greg and Jeff had discovered the mythical goddess Saphinga the Adventuress who were a sub cult of Orlanth Adventurous and under cult stricture Lesbian, then no one would have a problem. Its the retcon of a hitherto well documented Vinga that is the issue.

Notwithstanding that the view of Heortling society that is being put forward I find unpalettable in general also. As David says, why conflate gender role and biology in the first place.

Rob