Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: Mark Galeotti <markgaleotti_at_CDYY1NxgqLNlmpKdSO5b8KKGELAaRniesATyQf5zJPFfowFQ4_gITu6XmKyiS1V>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 12:10:58 -0000

> But ruins it all with this post,
>
> > This is something I really don't get about part of
> > this debate -- the notion that somehow Heortling culture ought
not
> > be sexist and have all kinds of stupid, patriarchal
restrictions...
> > you know, the way most RW cultures do. It's like complaining that
> you
> > can't have an Orlanthi ninja or be a Dara Happan hippy without
your
> > family disowning you.
>
> Not at all Mark. If Greg and Jeff had discovered the mythical
goddess
> Saphinga the Adventuress who were a sub cult of Orlanth Adventurous
> and under cult stricture Lesbian, then no one would have a problem.
> Its the retcon of a hitherto well documented Vinga that is the
issue.

It's _part_ of the issue. This debate has sprawled and mutated, as all debates do. Apart from the fact that Greg 'n' Jeff aren't flatly stating that every Vingan is a lesbian, I wasn't addressing the retcon issue. What I was talking about was a wider complaint some people have about the presence of cultural constraints they feel either deters potential players or is somehow not their cup of tea.

Disagree with what I say, by all means, but I'd rather you didn't take issue with things I don't.

Yours,

Mark