Re: Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: David Cake <dave_at_peQd-0Q3GBxCTP8HZIq1VuYiHxAxg734K28d08C0Qeqacwpu-3VKTMfbE0aLPfApdReLpO7>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 11:39:32 +0800

At 12:10 PM +0000 15/5/07, Mark Galeotti wrote:
>--- In ImmoderateGloranthaQuest_at_yahoogroups.com, "Rob"
><robert_m_davis_at_...> wrote:
>
>> But ruins it all with this post,
>>
>> > This is something I really don't get about part of
>> > this debate -- the notion that somehow Heortling culture ought
>not
>> > be sexist and have all kinds of stupid, patriarchal
>restrictions...
>> > you know, the way most RW cultures do. It's like complaining that
>> you
>> > can't have an Orlanthi ninja or be a Dara Happan hippy without
>your
>> > family disowning you.
>>
>> Not at all Mark. If Greg and Jeff had discovered the mythical
>goddess
>> Saphinga the Adventuress who were a sub cult of Orlanth Adventurous
>> and under cult stricture Lesbian, then no one would have a problem.
>> Its the retcon of a hitherto well documented Vinga that is the
>issue.
>
>It's _part_ of the issue. This debate has sprawled and mutated, as
>all debates do. Apart from the fact that Greg 'n' Jeff aren't flatly
>stating that every Vingan is a lesbian, I wasn't addressing the
>retcon issue. What I was talking about was a wider complaint some
>people have about the presence of cultural constraints they feel
>either deters potential players or is somehow not their cup of tea.
	The issue is largely the retcon.
	Its easy to forget that the whole 'only men can join Orlanth'
thing is a big retcon in the first place - Orlanthi society has been gradually evolving towards being more sexist as its been fleshed out. Thats not an inevitable thing - its a creative decision.

        Lets face it - it wasn't the lovingly replicated pre-modern sexism that drew us to the game in the first place. As the decision is made to take Glorantha further in that direction, why shouldn't we complain?

        I'll admit my own creative sensibilities don't find the sexism of Heortling society particularly appealing - which is why I'm more enthusiastic about the transformative power of the Lunar way - but I don't particularly object to it being that way in the first place, its Glorantha. But I can sure complain about changes that take things in directions I don't like.

        I play Ars Magica as well. I don't complain about the sexism in the Ars Magica setting - medieval Europe is deeply sexist, and I knew that when I started playing the game. But in that setting, the Gift trumps gender, so major PCs (those that are magicians, the focus of the game) aren't particularly encumbered by sexism to any notable extent - and thats a creative decision too, and one made with the desires of players in mind. If they suddenly decided that the setting was insufficiently sexist, and the magicians needed their fair share of sexism too, I'd tell that sucked, no matter how authentically medieval it was.

	Cheers
		David