Re: Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: Jakob Pape <chaomancer_at_rXMb7ZVKgW3Uh8t4SVGlbQcvNKBUoFeBA8Q9in3sj6_cfewZkJe2zqp227KGDVvSr>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:52:57 +0100

On 5/16/07, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_90Zz1oXJq8edBjbtETiVxbr88W6CBooSv48KZicITyw41sPb9Ebpd2Ht9OCsu-jzL4WbnB2zUWo.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> > Jeff re Betty/Beti/Leika
> >
> > > whim. The previous version was perfectly consistent with Glorantha
> > > it DOES fit with Greg's Sartar (which still has Vingans in it
>
> And what, pray tell was the previous version? We know she was a Queen
> of the Colymar from the Taraling clan (aka one of the Hyaloring
> clans). That's it.
>
> And Greg and I do not believe that women need to worship Vinga to
> worship Orlanth Rex (I just talked to him about that on Sunday). To
> the extent the rules in Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe suggest
> otherwise, the rules are misleading.

Okay, so what is the rule here? If you're changing the published rules, I would very much like to know what they are changing to. TR is clear that only men can worship Orlanth - if that's not true any more (as you seem to say above), is it only for some subcults or all of them? A lot of this discussion would change if we can have female Destor or Finovan worshippers now.

If the rules are wrong, it's not helpful to simply say that you're ignoring them - you should suggest how they can be changed to work. Otherwise the rest of us are simply left guessing at what the rules are, and any attempt to understand you is doomed to flounder on the occasional misunderstanding like my assumption that the published rules are, you know, right.

> I largely thought that the tribe accepted (usually grudgingly or not at
> > all) Gregging because Greg actually invented Glorantha. But Jeff?
>
> You don't have to accept anything I write. Of course, stuff that Greg
> and I write should probably be considered stuff Greg writes.
>
> And I didn't come up with the Vinga insights. Greg did. I just
> happen to agree with them.
>
> But I don't really care about changing details about Glorantha. In my
> Glorantha, or together with Greg. It doesn't bother me one way or
> another - to me it is no different from making changes to a constantly
> evolving draft manuscript. And I certainly don't feel restricted by
> the trope of GAG.
>
> Jeff

That's an interesting point of view - but it's NOT a draft manuscript when you change something that has been printed. If your books are just detailing your Glorantha, though, I guess I won't be buying them - I want source material for the shared roleplaying setting of Glorantha, which it seems you don't intend to write. That's not GAG, or doesn't have to be, but it must exclude casual changes to the setting or it's basically useless to me.

Maybe I'll pick up your stuff as an interesting interpretation of the game world; that'll depend on reviews. But I'm a roleplayer first and foremost, and you're basically excluding rpgs from consideration with the attitude that anything can be changed on your or Greg's whim.

--
Jakob Pape

"Sometimes subtlety comes in the form of large explosions and jammed open
airlock doors."