Vedr. Re: In Defence Of A Goddess - A

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_HtlyOFBVx-unnRN53IgmxAbDG8-I6XLFHHf2iopBUitf3ZzNRkIhTZU-CG4nn>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 19:34:41 -0000

I know Jeff R has been dealt a crappy hand. He's been forced at times to argue positions that aren't his, and taken unfair abuse. I'd be as sad if he knocked it on the head through something like this as anybody else.

Gloranthaphiles are a funny lot. Leaving aside the fact that I dislike the whole notion and definition of GAG (too often it appears that half- -dozen voluble folks on a message list seven years ago defined among themselves what I'm by general acceptance supposed to believe), we tend to hold two standards.

We often expect published material to conform to and respect what has been published before ('official' and otherwise), but when it comes to the 'otherwise' there *is* no consensus. We're more than happy to argue, dismiss and rewrite the 'otherwise' as it takes us.

But my problem isn't necessarily bovine GAG, or whatever allusion you

wish to cast. I have the conceit that if you write good stuff, it'll
come through. If some people don't like it, fair enough, have fun, it's
their choice.

My problem is when the folks who have put the effort and creativity into producing stuff for Glorantha get hacked off by their peers -- for no necessary reason.

Folks who contribute like to think that their efforts will get some respect. It's not like any of those writing for Glorantha, or even Rick, indulge their passion for the money. There's a fair amount of ego involved, and self-satisfaction, and some folks even think it's an honour, but by and large folks do it just because they enjoy it.

No-one's an idiot. They know how Greg comes up with new ideas. If it's going to get changed, so be it. But let's handle it with due respect to past folks' endeavours. The keyword is reciprocity. If people think their efforts are for naught, and subject to whim, they won't give a toss about anyone else's. Lose the enjoyment, and you lose the quality (or the author altogether). Works can become mundane and contradictory.

No, Greg doesn't have to take into account what's been written, even under his own moniker or those working for himself or his licensees. Folks don't have to write for Glorantha, either. If you want to get the best out of those who are bright, creative and wish to contribute, just find a balance. It's really not that difficult if you try.

Stu.