Re: Magical contraception

From: Mark Galeotti <markgaleotti_at_2Di0Xssa_IG4EhXSXhtHUn4_jXx2MGbHNCIsamCqnoWW9mNmF21Hyjp_yAsTLw1>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:47:18 -0000

Daniel said "The results of the magic done in Glorantha come out to about the same as the results in the RW" and I noted that this is something Greg has said, too. Of course our history didn't have fireblades, flying horses, moonburns and the like. The point being made is that in the final analysis, Gloranthans live lives much like those of comparable RW peoples. Glorantha is not Earth. Sure, _we_ know that crops will grow and the sun will rise regardless of prayer and ritual, so if we also had some magic powers we could expect a bonus over and above what our skills and the natural world would provide. Glorantha isn't like that, it is a world in which 'science' is actually built around the old assumptions, not modern science. Without that prayer, the crops may well not grow, regardless of the nutrients in the soil. That wound didn't heal because of the body's immune systemn, it was because of the prayers that were said over it as the ritual herb was rubbed into it. In detail, Gloranthans do have powers that we and our ancestors did not, but then again they also face problems not found in the RW, from ice demons scouring the crop to Mallia's servants poisoning the well with a glare. Ultimately, they various differences basically cancel each other out.

Mark