Re: In Defence Of A Goddess

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_pIVMjuwQREhTMWvBEbWAPbzlGV4Udi-CHDb_URtyByRyl2OP1Hvg2X7SiAMBeGdpsLc>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 12:12:00 -0000

How many sites/forums has this been spawned to, I wonder?

I don't particularly care one way or the other. In my mind, Vinga was always a relatively minor goddess, one of the Thunder Brothers.

Orlanth used to be open to men and women without a problem. It's only recently that gender has played a major parts in membership of many different cults.

I couldn't see a problem with female worshippers of Orlanth, anyway. Sure, they were odd but not particularly when looking at ancient cultures. The Celts had female warriors, as did the Mongols, to give two examples off the top of my head.

As to sexual orientation, there are very few cults that specify this. I don't particularly agree that all Vingans are lesbians, but they generally hang about in women-only adventuring bands, so some might be. Does it really matter?

Yelornans have a celibacy Geas for some cultists, Unicorn Riders have to be celibate virgins and I think the Star Maidens have to be Maidens, i.e. virgins. I always assumed that the celibacy geas did not include lesbianism and so a lot of Yelornans were lesbians.

Babeester Gori used to be able to have sex, but can't now. Maran gori weren't allowed to have sex but can now. Not a good switch in my opinion. But, there again, they can't have sex, but could probably be lesbians.

Ernaldans used to have to had borne a healthy child to become an initiate, or is it a priest? So, it is implied or assumed that they should have heterosexual relations.

Yelmalio has celibacy geases and, once again, I am not sure if that applies to homosexual sex - I'd take the same view as above that it applies to heterosexual sex and that explains a lot abou the Yelmalian cult.

Yelm only accepts male members, so all Yelm worshippers are male. As are Waha worshippers.
Eiritha, Yelorna, Babeester Gor and Maran Gor only accept female worshippers, although there was a cracking fancult of Kanak Gor that was a cult that accepted castrated males as worshippers of Babeester Gor.

But does it matter?

If I am a man who wants to worship Ernalda, I can do it through Nandan. This doesn't mean I have to be homosexual, bisexual or heterosexual. Sure, some nandani take husbands and may have a physcial relationship, some don't. Some Vingans take female lovers, some don't. Basmoli apparantly have bachelor bands that engage in casual homosexuality. So what?

Unless you have specific geases baning certain behaviour, I tend to think it is permitted, if not always encouraged. I can see the Yelornan High Priestess tutting about any suggestion of impropriety amongst her girls, whilst remembering fondly those pleasant nights under canvas.

So, loosen up, play it how you want to and ignore things that you don't like. It's far more fun that way.

Male roleplayers can play straight males, homosexual males, bisexual males and asexual males as wel as straight/bisexual/lesbian/asexual females.

It's just a game. Hell, I played a bisexual centaur stallion for many a year.

See Ya

Simon