Re: In Defence Of A Goddess

From: jorganos <joe_at_5uUVS13gXzmlvwmhE6OfiXlrXQTIPYk8lcL-PnQW29qJQu0RDQXwO8iTkdsQMaPL3ikbzOE3>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:53:24 -0000

Simon Phipp
>> Wrong. Maran always was the bad mother, and not through
>> parthenogenesis. That she has no mythical offspring (except the
>> quakebeasts) might be because she sacrificed them?

> Wrong. According to WF, Maran traded away her mating for terrible
> powers and celibacy geases.

Ok, WF6 say "she took no husband and bore no children". Where do the geases come in?

I always took this to mean "has no divine daughters".

> Babeester Gor, on the other hand,
> couldn't take the burden alone and shared the burden with many
> lovers.

If you call the (official) RQ3 cult write-up in Tales 6 a retcon, ok. Maran as a mother has been canonical since then. There it says something about priestesses having to give up the children.

> So, pretty little Babs was at it like a rabbit and nasty horrid
> Maran was celibate.

Babs the rabbit is sort of new to me.

Interesting trivia aside: googling for Babeester, I was asked "did you mean babysitter?"

> Quakebeasts and other such beasties could have been produced by non-
> sexual means or she could have adopted them.

With dragons handily nearby, why go for non-sexual means? Extra-marital, that's ok with me. Unless she is the perpetual widow.

> Then they changed it to make Maran Gor super-fertile and Babs
> another virgin girl.

That's part of the Six Earths/three generations stuff. You know, crone/mother/maiden. Babs clearly is not of the crone or mother persuasion, leaving her alongside with Voria.

Mind you, if she was the size and shape of a 10-year-old girl wearing the usual accoutrements, she might be even more intimidating.

> Maran Gor, Babeester Gor, Vinga and Yelorna wrestling in a tub of
> mud. Who'd win?

The mud, unless Babs turned it into beer after a few nosebleeds (or other sources of the red juice).