Re: In Defence Of A Goddess

From: David Cake <dave_at_xwAWQQcLzc0y9XiaGd5Ha7QCL-1bTdGf4wMgXzFprK0YYR_Xe6xArcLoxBX8-xdqFo0gGdJ>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 09:29:27 +1000

At 12:10 PM +0000 5/6/07, jorganos wrote:
>Peter Metcalfe

>>>Strangely enough, though, the two well-documented warrior (leader)
>>>women in recent Sartarite history are warrior-queens (Kallyr and
>>>Leika) ruling through Orlanth kingship.
>
>> So you reject Jeff and Greg's fucking stupid retcon that Leika
>> is actually a worshipper of Redayle (who has no weapons magic
>> let alone leadership magic)?
>
>Elmal has no better archery magic than Orlanth (through Jorganos), and
>there were definitely no ponies in the caves of Snake Pipe Hollow, so
>no, I can't see Leika as pony girl. (Haven't seen her in that role,
>yet, either...)
>
>To me, Redayle is a nice source for LM wives you can tag along into
>field research. As a martial cult, it ranges right there with Barntar
>and Ormalaya. Terrible if armed with horse/plow/adze...

        The rules issue here is that, as far as I can see, for this 'Redayla is a women warrior cult' thing, Jeff is pretty much ignoring the actual Redayla writeup (with its emphasis on animal husbandry err... animal wifery) and focussing on the one paragraph mention of Redayla as a subcult of Elmal for women who want to get Elmal magic.

        So we get the chutzpah here that Jeff is saying (in rules terms) that people are wrong to focus on Vinga as a subcult of Orlanth, and should instead be focusing on a subcult that performs pretty much the same thing with gender roles, only via a really obscure sub-cult of a less important god. Whatever. The mystery is mostly why he expects us to believe this crap.

        (not that I have a big problem with Redayla as written. Culturally notable, economically significant, and all that. Its just this 'oh, its a much better choice of female warrior cult than Vinga' line that is hard to swallow)

	Cheers
		Dave