Re: Gods... and the elemental progression

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_KlUF4QLgqzUySl6sKK3m5Ov-rHBrJ56Bo-PS4W8GahfiuUZ33S7a8LGFP8GZR>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 12:56:42 -0000

More good and interesting stuff, Peter! I did particularly enjoy the Governing Arts.

As a spin-off from this...

> Since the arts are elementally based, the Elemental
> Progression (MoLaD p53) could be used for conflicts
> between arts.

Out of interest, what do people think of the Elemental Progression?

I understand the concept as a whole is an old motif, with significant influences. And in a localised form, like the Three Feathered Rivals (as far as I'm aware, I was too young for Nomad Gods, and am really clueless on Prax), I think it can work very well, being fun and resonant.

But I'm perhaps not best keen on a wider notion of an Elemental Progression being suggested as a deeper 'truth'. Simply because (a) in some areas I'm interested in, it goes against trends of myth and just doesn't quite work; and (b) it can seem a simplistic and limiting depiction of what is far more varied, fluid and vibrant: a bit Top Trumps Myth.

As a relative newcomer to Glorantha, I'm always interested in this. Because I'm never sure where Glorantha 'now' exactly lies. Over the past quarter of a century there have been increasing developments in promoting pluralistic notions of myth, but there also seem to be lots of cases of 'backsliding' -- or perhaps it's a mirage, and it hasn't changed as much as I thought.

This is exacerbated for me, as I'm a 'small picture' man. I don't really have any great thoughts on the structure of Gloranthan myth, the Otherworlds, &c. as a whole (and to be honest I'm not especially interested). Everyone's own particular mix -- obviously -- can be quite different, as I've discovered on the lists, at Tentacles, and elsewhere. Always fun.

Cheerio,

Stu.