Re: History of the Heortling Peoples

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_vaQkLV5u-QOnaNH5pIq8XovpeCzaMP18VvGlN0FhS_L2zguZDv3MKiiMqhOvAT2J7oJ2>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:49:42 -0000

> This may be so but it's awfully difficult to suss it out from the
> HotHP. The Hendreiki that follow Broyan have resisted but
> they are Volsaxi rather than Hendreiki (ie they are only a
> subset). The Jodalarings and the Hurlantings on the other
> hand have accepted Belintar's reforms to some extent while
> the Esvularings accepted them whole-handedly.

That's pretty much right. But Belintar's reforms are both more and less than they had been made out to be.

> And the scope of Belintar's reforms? He's imposing the
> governmental and administrative structure of the Middle
> Sea Empire (although it doesn't take very well in Esrolia).

Yep. Belintar made the classic mistake of thinking the Queens ran Esrolia, and not the Grandmothers.

> >Does it reveal why Broyan is considered HIgh King? Or is that still
> >just coz he knows how to summon the bridge to the city of wonders?
> Broyan has enthroned himself with the sword and helm
> of Vingkot at Whitewall which makes him a bona fide
> High King in the tradition of Hardrad the Green (who
> ruled from 1340 to 1357). However the line of High
> Kings dies out in 1460 and the Volsaxi become
> bitches of the Kitori until Tarkalor frees them. What
> happens _after_ Tarkalor frees them but _before_
> Broyan crowns himself is left not given. My suspicion
> is that the Volsaxi were in the same position viz-a-viz
> old Sartar as the Farpoint tribes were.

Also, after the death of Belintar, the guardians that Belintar had appointed to prevent anyone from being able to be proclaimed king of the Hendrikings were weakened. Armed with the Sword and Helm, Broyan defeated Belintar's guardians and destroyed them - allowing him to be proclaimed High King of the Hendrikings with the sacred regalia. Incidentally, Greg and I think that heroquest also killed Governor (King) Orngerin.

> As for Broyan having the keys to the City of Wonders,
> there's no indication of how he came to have that
> nor is there any idea of why it was a bad thing for
> him to give it up to Harrek the Berserk.

There isn't a key per se, but as ruler of the Hendrikings, Broyan could enter the City of Wonders (basically exploiting a loophole in Belintar's magical defenses). The Argrathsaga is actually mistaken when it connects the sacking of the City of Wonders with the shadow demons that kill Broyan. Belintar - like the Only Old One before him - suppressed many dangerous darkness entities that have haunted Kethaela since the darkness. With Belintar gone, these entities could act again - and some are very very powerful. Broyan was caught completely unaware and was killed - basically because he was a Hendriking High King that didn't pay the ancient Shadow Tribute (he didn't know he had to).

Jeff