Re: The Man who would be an initiate.

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_lzOZp3Kn9gvq9B6jUCVuDUFUTZK1z8OHvEMtSCrpsw_dKhM_ZLdRdGGzkt6Zw0P5Ag->
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:08:57 -0000

Either Darren or parental_unit_2:

> I'm seeing two mutually contradictory propositions getting violent
> agreement in the forums:
>
> 1. "Rules don't matter"
>
> and
>
> 2. "HQ models Glorantha better than RQ".
>
> Pick one.

No, pick all of them.

HQ models Glorantha better than RQ in certain areas. RQ models Glornatha better than HQ in certain areas. Rules don't matter.
Rules do matter.
HQ is faster than RQ.
RQ is faster than HQ.

I have agreed and disagreed with all of the above statements and still do.

Sometimes you have to go through hoops to justify some of the new HQ modesl of Glorantha where the old system is easier to use and better. Sometimes HQ works better than RQ in Glorantha.

Rules don't matter in that you can ignore rules that don't work very well. They do matter in that you need a rules framework to make the game flow better and to resolve conflict, and if you have rules they might as well be easy to use and consistent.

HQ is faster than RQ if you use simple contests and don't go over the top with augments. RQ is faster than HQ if you are prepared and don't have massive combats. I've had HQ simple contests that have taken 30 minutes to resolve and that was like pulling teeth. Darren. Craig and Paul - you know what I am talking about.

So, agree with everything and disagree with everything. You know it makes sense.

See Ya

Simon