Re: "I wonder what it is with Glorantha that creates this problem?" Discuss.

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_Oc7o6lA0ybtjIJi3qACMKWegZ4iqU3WYzf370bDkiUS7l-bN3LJPzYbwsOvu7>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:59:24 -0000

Sam:
> Another bit is, "I thought I had bought a ticket for a neo-Nazi
> literature circle..."

The perils of choosing a name when young, gormless and stoned. 'Der Untermensch' was the name of a song on Type O Negative's 1991 platter, SLOW, DEEP & HARD. Of which... oh, nevermind. My bandmates (I joined in 1993) thought this - the subhuman - sounded cool.

When the name filtered through to the somewhat more... literate... fans and 'zine editors of the underground metal scene, there were occasional raised eyebrows. And perhaps a bit of belated embarrassment. Generally speaking, however, no-one gave a toss. Certainly not in Bolton, Eccles, Ashton-Under-Lyne, Bury, or any of the other 'hotspots' of the local scene. To be honest, fascism was so utterly derided in the extreme music scene at the time that few ever even thought of a possible connection.

Anyway, in local parlance, and certainly to our fellow bands, we were always either DER UNDERPANTS or DER MONSTERMUNCH.

Stew.