Re: Re: Terror in war

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ZyEgWveo-EZkZOqG1ARHwGJJcBt0vSFt-Nx_DX6OIBru_ZionLEmyJDnCEWv13K1bIo>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:22:37 +1200

At 01:10 a.m. 23/08/2007, you wrote:

>Nazis? Both of these incidents were taken out of Thucydites'

His name was Thucydi_d_es, moron.

>"History
>of the Peloponnesian War" and were perpetrated by the Athenians. In
>413, the Athenians and their Thracian mercenaries captured the Boetian
>city of Mycalessus without seige or assault and:

>"They butchered the inhabitants, sparing neither youth nor age but
>killing all they fell in with, one after the other, children and
>women, and even the beasts of burden, and whatever other living
>creatures they saw; the Thracian people, like bloodiest of the
>barbarians, being ever most murderous when it has nothing to fear.
>Everywhere confusion reigned and death in all its shapes; in
>particular they attacked a boys' school, the largest that there was in
>the place, into which the children had just gone, and massacred them
>all." Thucydites 7,26,4-5.

Actually 7.29. You might as well quote the sentence just before it which reads "The Thracians bursting into Mycalessus sacked the houses and temples and butchered the inhabitants, sparing neither youth [...]" making it clear that the atrocity was committed by them rather than "Athenians and their Thracian mercenaries".

Furthermore Thucydides explicitly says the city was assaulted at daybreak and the city easily captured because the inhabitants did not expect anybody coming in so far from the sea. Even if the facts were as you said they were, I fail to see how this even remotely justifies a potrayal of Kallyr as a Red-headed bitch of Beslan.

--Peter Metcalfe